Wednesday, May 23, 2012

may updates

So I guess I left off at our recent family photo shoot...seriously, where does the time go? I guess that is the life of a working mom, huh? Never enough time to get everything that needs to be done...with a laundry list of to-do's that never gets shorter?!?

I haven't blogged about this yet but my sister GOT ENGAGED last month! We are so excited and happy for her and Trevor. We can't wait for next year...no date yet but they are looking at San Diego right now, probaby in the February or March timeframe. Seriously, what a better time to leave MN, right? We plan to make it a vacation since Mason will be old enough to enjoy places like the SD Zoo, etc...and we will have my family there to help with him too, which will be awesome.

So let's see, what is new with the P family...Joe is playing softball again, he is just a sub so it's not every week but he is loving it, he hasn't played the past few summers. Do I love it? Meh. While I do enjoy my new Monday night ritual of picking up takeout on the way home and watching my guilty pleasure shows, like Sister Wives, while I play with the dude...it is a lot more work because Mason is sleeping by the time Joe gets home so everything is on me...AND he's playing with on my boss's team. Yep, not awkward at ALL. How did that happen you ask? Well, long story short...Joe visited me at work one day on his day off and the topic of softball was brought up in front of my boss, a super serious softball player who is competitive and plays every summer and fall. After hearing about Joe's baseball career and the pretty well known softball teams he was once on, he then wanted to get a team together with Joe. It didn't pan out since most people were already on teams at that point, so then Joe became a sub for one of his teams. This will be his 3rd week playing and he is having a good time so far.

Also, Mason got his first ear infection last week. He had been congested for over 4 weeks, so we knew it was just a matter of time before it settled into his ears. The week before, he has started to get a little more fussy but there was no fever, no decreased eating, etc...so we chalked it up to teething (it's hard because the symptoms are so similar). That weekend, we had gone home to WI for a friend's baby shower and while a little fussy at times, nothing too major to be concerned about. Then that Monday came and I got a call from daycare that he wasn't running a fever but was pretty unhappy and wasn't taking the bottle well (and seriously this kid loves to eat, so you know he's not feeling well when he won't eat!)...they thought it was likely teething and wanted to know if I'd be willing to come and give him some Tylenol to see if that did anything for him...if it didn't, then we knew it was an ear infection. So I went in and gave him some Tylenol.

When I laid him on the changing table, he screamed bloody murder...and my only thought was something my mom had told me "you will know when it's an ear infection" and I had that gut feeling it was. However, we waited to see how he responded to the medication and I called an hour later and he was the happy-go-lucky Mason again. Later in the afternoon, he needed more Tylenol so I gave him some more and he did much better again. When I picked him up, I went back and forth whether to take him in...so we went home and I let the Tylenol wear off...but I knew we had to go in and make sure. Yep, his left ear was VERY infected and close to popping. The right ear was good so the doctor gave us some medication to give him 2 times a day, for 10 days (UGH!). We are avoiding penicillin and everything in that family for now...Joe is deathly allergic to them all and it's not worth taking the chance until he is older or can be tested for the allergy. The next day we saw a drastic improvement...we thought things were on the up and up...

Then Mason started to not eat/nurse again and cried when he was flat...all I could think was, are you serious?!? So we went back in...the good news was the left ear didn't pop and had improved some...the bad news was the right ear was now infected. So clearly the first medication wasn't working, so we were given a new one to try that was 1 time per day for 5 days. So far, he seems to be back to normal! But he has been scarred by the syringe...he HATES them now and every time he sees it, he freaks out and presses his lips together and holds his breath in anger. So much drama...the acorn really doesn't fall far from the tree, huh? And some other good news, his congestion finally cleared up this week...I wonder if he had some sort of sinus infection too, poor little guy!

Mason is getting really close to crawling...here are some pictures we've taken the past few weeks. I finally ordered our baby gate and other safety items for the house today...it's been on the to-do list for weeks but I finally needed to make it a priority because it's getting too close to be needing them.

















And here are his TWO teeth!

Joe and I are both liking our new jobs. I think the nostalgia of working downtown has worn off for Joe and the reality of riding the bus has set in. I, on the other hand, LOVE my new commute. I also had to pitch my biggest accrual to the Director, Sr Manager, Manager and my Supervisor for the first time last week. It's the biggest and most complex of the 4 I forecast each month and there were a lot of issues to go over this time around. However, I had my weekly status with my boss today and he said I did great and was impressed with how well I handled it. YAY for me :)

We were home over mother's day weekend for my friend Krista's baby shower, she is due with her first baby in July. I also got to meet my friend Caitlen's newest little man, Bentley. He is just over 3 months old and so precious!

Grandma & Mason time!

Sleeping on Mom is my favorite place in the world...

OH, I chopped my hair on Friday. After weeks of Mason eating my hair and yanking chunks out of my head, I was about to have a Britney Spears moment so I got the Mom Chop. Here it is on my way home from the salon.

And now for some random pictures from my phone and camera, taken over the past few weeks.



Joe got this on his phone one Sunday morning, I LOVE LOVE this picture of us. I just wish it was a little better quality!

Eating mom's hair, again...

Sleeping and sucking his thumb...

Here is Mason and his first girlfriend, Aubrey, from daycare. I'm told he likes to put his hand on her leg or hold her hand on their stroller rides...while staring directly at her.The teachers try to get him to move his gaze and he won't even look at them LOL. He clearly gets that from his father!

Whew...May sure was busy! And I start to get overwhelmed just thinking about the summer. I started marking my calendar up and the weekends are filling up fast. I know this summer is going to fly and all of a sudden, we will be a month away from celebrating Mason's first birthday...I really need to start looking on pinterest for ideas. Yet another item to add to my list....

2 comments:

AliRose said...

Booo to ear infections. Hope you and Mason have healthy summers, sick babies are just major bummers. :(

I LOVE your chopped hair! Super super cute, I've always thought you look awesome with a cute short bob. I've been considering doin gthe same lately, because Louie is all about the hair pulling and eating and it HURTS! Plus I am going through the post-partum hairloss thing and my hair look so stringy and thin and gross, I need a change.

I love the pictures of Mason planking. ;) You're right, when they're doing that crawling is not very far away! So exciting, your life is about to get even more interesting, keeping that little guy safe from himself. ;)

So happy you're liking your new job, we miss you though still! The office is same old though, boring and pretty slow as we head into the summer.

Laura said...

Thanks Alicia! I miss you guys too...I think of you often and wonder how things are going and what has changed. Have they hired anyone yet?

OMG, I think my hair just started to fall out normal again, it was ridiculous how much would fall out...I was shocked I had anything left after vacuuming and sweeping our floors!