Monday, March 26, 2012

lots of updates...

Sorry I've been a little MIA lately...it's been a little crazy the past few weeks! Where to begin?!? I guess I will start with my new job :) I now have 2 weeks under my belt and I'm exhausted by the end of each day. I'm learning so much and still have a long ways to go...it's been hard being the newbie and not knowing how everything works. At GD, I had been there for over 8 years so I was the one people came to with questions, I knew all the systems, where to find data, etc. But I'm very excited about the company...my manager is very laid back (so is the whole atmosphere at the north campus). He's been super understanding with pumping, he gets it because his wife did the same thing with their 2 kids. Target has a great room for me to use too...there is a room that has 5 bathroom looking stalls, each have a big table and chair. The room has a big fridge/freezer, microwave, sink and lockers with locks to store your pump and supplies during the day. It works out pretty slick.


Mason has adjusted really well to his new daycare and survived his first week. Mom also survived her first week of drop offs too. His teacher told me he loves to watch the other kids. There are 3 other older infants in his room right now, all of them either walking or walking with help...she says he wants to join them so badly. She has to prop him up with the boppy to sit up after tummy time because he gets mad when he can't see what they are doing. Also when he's napping, I guess William (the oldest infant) walks over to his crib and sticks toys in there for him...of course Ms Lori or Ms Kathy remove them but how cute is that?!? She also told me my worst fear on Friday, that Mason needed more milk. Currently, I've been sending 3 5 oz bottles each day and it's been enough to get him through...I'm usually able to pump 15-16 oz while at work and during my nighttime pumpin session...but now he needs more and my body just won't make more. I've never been blessed with an oversupply, we have lived paycheck to paycheck this entire time. I do have a very small frozen stash but it's probably only 12-14 oz. I've tried everything possible to increase my supply but nothing is working...so after my frozen stash is gone, we'll likely have to supplement with formula. I know there is nothing wrong with formula but I honestly feel like a failure. And I know it will hopefully only be 2-3 oz per day that we'll need to supplement and maybe when we start introducing food, he won't need those extra few ounces. But still...it kills me that I can't give him what he needs. However, like all the challenges I've faced in my life, I will persevere...I plan to keep going and not give up...I've come to accept that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing...and something is better than nothing, right? I also do not want my child to starve, so I had to swallow my pride and do what is best for him. We did try and gave him a 2 oz bottle of formula over the weekend after he nursed and I cried. I made Joe give him the bottle, I couldn't do it...but the good news is we didn't notice a reaction.

Speaking of Mason's diet...rice cereal. UGH. This boy hates it. He promptly spits it out every time and now won't even open his mouth half the time. He's learned to press his lips together if he doesn't want you to put something in it (he figured this out from his icky reflux meds we have to give him daily)...such a little stinker! We've tried 2 different kinds and have used breast milk, water and formula to see if he'd eat one of the combos. He wants nothing to do with any of them. I may try oatmeal but I heard that can make them constipated too...we have Mason's checkup on Friday so I will talk to our doctor and see what we should do next. I'm very anxious to start baby food though...I got our baby bullet out over the weekend and ready to start making food, hopefully we can start in a couple week if he ever starts eating cereal.

Thanks to my sister-in-law Melinda, Joe and I went on a date night this past Friday with some of Joe's co-workers, we went to the Hunger Games movie...SO good. I tried to read the book before we went but when you have an infant in the house, you don't get much time to read so I didn't get very far...but I definitely want to read all 3 before the 2nd movie comes out! Joe, who NEVER reads, couldn't put the book down. I think he finished it in 2 days...so when Joe actually finishes a book, you know it's good!

Some recent videos I've taken...trying to capture his adorable little giggle...


Mason's newest trick is to flap his arms like a bird...the first few times he did this, we laughed hysterically so now he does it all the time and looks at us for our approval :)

**Video isn't working, will try again later**


I did a photo shoot of Mason to get some pics of his rolls before they start to disappear...







 My little sweetheart <3

Trying out his highchair for the first time!

 I want to eat you little chick...
And some random pictures from the past few weeks...








3 comments:

AJ said...

Awwww :) I love those marshmallow arms. How did the Ergo go?

stephie said...

Thanks for sharing Laura!

AliRose said...

My unsolicited advice? Skip the rice cereal. We never did it. At all. It's totally unnecessary, and if the little guy hates it, there's absolutely no reason why you should feel like you have to keep trying to make him eat it, it has little to no nutritional value as it is.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/cereal.htm