We survived our first trip to the ER and are surviving our first cold. I noticed on Tuesday night that Mason's breathing started to sound congested when I was nursing him before bedtime...I was hoping it was just from the ceiling fan being on the night before, so I left it off that night. All day Wednesday, he struggled a little to breath...so I started googling how to relieve congestion. A lot of the websites I found said you should call at the first sign of illness in babies under 3 months. So I called the nurses hotline and based on his symptoms and age, she recommended we take him in. It was 4pm at this point, so we would never get into see a doctor and urgent care would be at least an hour or two wait. So we headed to the ER instead to make sure all was well and was just hopefully a cold. They took a chest xray and tested him for RSV, both came back normal. We then had to follow up with our primary doctor, which we did on Friday. She said his lungs sounded good, so she confirmed it was just a cold. He's been more fussy than normal and not eating as long...but he's still eating some and having wet diapers, the doctor said we could expect shorter feeding sessions while he's getting over the cold...and no fever yet either, which is good news!
I'm so thankful it was just a cold and nothing more serious! We're just using saline drops and a snot sucker to help him breathe easier, poor little guy :(
Also, he got weighed and he was 10 POUNDS 5.5 OUNCES already, holy crap!! I'm so relieved to know he is growing but he is going to double his weight well before his 2 month appointment on the 29th...at this rate, he'll be fitting into his 6M clothes in just a few weeks :(
Mason getting some cuddles and kisses from momma in the ER:
2 comments:
Oh poor little buddy. There is NOTHING worse than a sick baby. Even just a cold, it's just dreadful, and you feel so helpless, and they are just so helpless, and it just breaks your heart. Many a night spent sleeping in the rocking chair holding Gus so he could breath and sleep. Ugh. Hope little Mason is feeling better soon!
I know...having a sick baby is no fun...especially when we could do nothing for him! But thankfully he's doing much better now and I think it was a milder case this time around too. I know once he's in daycare, he will be sick all.the.time...sick baby and working...UGH! I might just become a coffee drinker yet!
Post a Comment