Sunday, February 6, 2011

a date which will live in infamy...

The BIG day has finally arrived and I can't sit still....I've been cleaning like a mad woman today (which is what I do when I'm nervous or upset)....today it's nerves. Yet I'm so freaking excited...I can hardly stand it. So now that the house is mostly clean, I'm trying to keep busy so my nerves don't lead me to the kitchen...so I will blog for a while :)

I've recently really gotten into e-books. Joe bought me an iPad for Christmas and I can't put the thing down. The only downside is most of the best sellers are $9.99 and I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a book (yet I can walk into a B&N and drop $15 for a book and not think twice about it). I think I still struggle with not receiving anything tangible from the transaction. Thankfully iBooks has a $2.99 or less section that I've been buying from.  I also downloaded the Kindle app for free and they have way more books for $5 or less, which is fantastic!

I sometimes feel pathetic that these things make my week but I love it and will share anyways.  We went to Target yesterday and saved $15.75 in coupons and just under $6 from the 5% savings.  Granted, it was a larger than normal shopping trip.  It was a major stock up trip with detergent, toilet paper, toiletry items, etc (which have the largest coupon savings).  But it was $22 in my pocket and I'll take that any day!  Seriously, you all NEED to clip coupons...it's the best thing since sliced bread :)  I will continue to keep track and maybe bi-monthly I'll do a little update so you can see what you can save too.

I'm also putting this out here, so I have more motivation to see it through. My goal for February is to get to the gym at least 12 times to see if I can get the health insurance discount. It's more cost effective for us to have insurance through our own employers...and of course, my insurance doesn't have the option but Joe's does. Since we're on the same gym membership, they told me that sometimes the insurance companies will still reimburse for spouses, even though they might not be on their plan. I'm dying to find out, so February is the month I'm going know once and for all...no more excuses to not stop on the way home anymore! I've been there 2 times so far this week (I decided this a few days ago), so I'm well on my way to achieving my goal.

We had my work post-holiday party last night (post-poned due to the 12/10 blizzard) at the Marriott Hotel in DT Minneapolis.  The food was decent (a little too fancy for my liking) but we both had a really good time. It's always fun to hang out with your co-workers in a non-work setting for once and get to know their spouses. One of the entertainers was a magician that was actually pretty funny and did some amazing tricks. I think it's way more fun to see these shows in person vs the television...with the TV, you never know what "camera tricks" they are really doing. We both had a few "how the heck did he do that?!?" moments last night, he was good.  Joe had started to talking to the magician before the show (while I was in line for the bathroom).  We ended up talking to him for more than 20 minutes...so then I was super nervous he'd select me for the cutting a body part in half portion of the show...thankfully neither one of us was selected, whew!!

Anyways, hope you all had a great weekend and enjoy the game, it's going to be a good one :)

5 comments:

stephie said...

Congrats on the big win!! Good luck with the gym...it will certainly pay off in the end! Say...I've got your bamboo tongs and plan on mailing it tomorrow. Love ya!

Laura said...

Thank you SO much Steph, let me know what I owe you!! I can't wait to have those tongs back again :)

Kristin96795 said...

Hey Laura - You might want to check out your library's website for ebooks. I know here you can "checkout" ebooks for your ipad/Kindle. You might have to wait for new bestsellers and stuff, but still might be a good option.
Me and Billy are waiting for the next generation ipad to come out and then we'll probably get one!

Laura said...

That's awesome Kristin, I had no idea library's even did that, I will definitely check that out, thank you!!! :)

Kristin96795 said...

I was checking more into it, seems like it's easier to download the app (I did on my iphone). Its called Overdrive Media Console. Then you can find your library and download right to your device.

Have you read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? It's so good!